Monday, March 17, 2014

This Morning's Shamrock Shake!



UPDATE 5:59 PM 3/17/14

Deacon has just informed me that when he arrived in his classroom this morning, his teacher pointed out that Deacon's history book had fallen off of the shelf! Apparently that was the only item displaced during the quake - hopefully it's not a sign that his History grades are dropping.

UPDATE - BREAKING NEWS 4:35 PM 3/17/14:

The kids are now home from school, and Maren told me she was sure she heard something fall off her shelf during the quake this morning. Indeed, we seem to have a confirmed case of shelf-falloff!!

Ironically, this TV set is the very same TV I was watching during the Loma Prieta quake in '89. It's in Maren's room now, and last night there were two horses on top of it.

Now only the baby horse is there...



The Mommy horse is down on the floor!





Even in the 7.1 Loma Prieta quake, things shifted, but nothing fell off my shelves.

Here's a selfie of the kids and I after school, enjoying our Shamrock Shakes!



ORIGINAL POST, 9:53 AM 3/17/14

This morning's "Shamrock Shake" earthquake definitely shook things up here at AFB HQ. But all is well.



I love the guys at KTLA IMMEDIATELY diving under their desk:



Naturally I headed right for the stash of Diet Pepsi after the quake - I guess it's Pepsi One these days, but here it is:



Here's my exact post-quake Diet Pepsi in 1989:



We received our expected phone call from Grammie, who immediately asked, "Is the TV OK??"



Here's my retrospective of Loma Prieta '89 from that quake's 20th anniversary in 2009.

Will provide blog updates as the situation unfolds, and I will always post the latest on Twitter: @set271.

UPDATE 10:28 AM 3/17/14:

My 1989 retrospective video isn't playing very well from the blog.

I uploaded it to YouTube: Short 1989 Loma Prieta EQ Retrospective Video

Embedding here, not sure how it will work:


9 comments:

Grammie said...

That was my SECOND question!

Derek said...

Grammie, you are right to ask about the TV, the most important member of our family.

Derek said...

I'm fine, thank you for asking Grammie! No thanks to the rest of you.

Terri said...

I'm ashamed that I didn't think of the TV first.

Trina said...

hee hee. enjoyed the post, and the comments.

Glad you are all safe and sound - especially TV. :)

Derek said...

Thank you Trina! You are a true friend. Unlike SOME people, who just love to watch you day in and day out but then apparently FORGET YOU EXIST in the aftermath of an earthquake.
It boggles the mind, because GUESS WHO they came running to for news and earthquake information???!!!

that's right, ME. TV.

Sigh. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to vent on you like that. I just-- it's just so frustrating sometimes. Whew. I feel better now. Heh heh, sorry about that! I'm better now. :) :/ :D

Terri said...

WELL, TV, you might think you're humongous and bright and FLAT as all that, but WHERE WERE YOU during the 7.1 Loma Prieta Earthquake in '89???

I was THERE, Man. At least *I* wasn't WHINING like a little girl, like you, during your wimpy 4.4 magnitude news-anchors-jump-under-the-desk-to-protect-their-botoxed-faces Quake in SO TRENDY Westwood.

When the power came back on in the house that night in 1989, I flipped myself on and rocked every local news station in the Bay Area. Looting! Fires! Bridge collapses! And those news anchors KEPT THEIR COOL and talked quietly and confidently about Liquefaction.

I've been going strong since 1988. My screen is 13" and I cost $600 and I have STATE OF THE ART stereophonic speakers. What do you show these days, TV? The Kardashians?? Real Housewives? FOOD NETWORK?? I showed REAL TV, shows that meant something to people. Like ALF, and SMALL WONDERS. FAMILY MATTERS. SAVED BY THE BELL. BAYWATCH. Scripted, entertaining stuff, featuring REAL PEOPLE (and aliens and little robot girls).

But anyway, enough about me. I'll still be here long after you flop forward and smash your face during the next little jumpy jumpy mini-quake. Take it easy, TV. Enjoy your Food Network and Oprah channel.

This is Grumpy Old TV, signing off (for now).

Maren said...

Hello, TV! I am very happy that you are safe and sound.

I am also happy for you, Grumpy old TV, because you are in my room and you are always there to pile my junk on.

I am just glad because I can still watch things on you two and I can sit there all comfy and cozy on the couch or in my bed.

I am not happy for the rest of you-except for Grammie and Trina.(:

Maren said...

And you TV's are also really awesome.